Monday, August 29, 2011

Working for the Weekend

It seems like we are always working for the weekend!
Aw...the weekend is over but long Labor Day is next weekend! So whatcha got planned? There's always time to have your own mini weekend escape. Mine is relaxation by the poolside.
I love spending time there...it's where I can soak in some sun,catchup on my latest read, and absorb all what God has blessed me with. A little slice of heaven for me to be surrounded by His creation.But it's especially heavenly when I'm surrounded by my loved ones.We had our lil' Nieces here for a visit and The Parentals too!

 Baked Brie with assorted crackers

I love Brie ! Anything that has Brie has to be good !
 I've Baked Brie many times, but my Sister-in-law
RachAnMe suggested this recipe for Baked Brie by Rachael Ray, Cheesy goodness sandwiched by my Aunt Annie's Marionberry jam, wrapped in a flaky crust makes every  family get together great!

Ingredients
1 sheet frozen prepared puff pastry, 11 x 17 inches, defrosted ( This time I used Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, just roll out & make sure seams are pressed together )
1 wheel brie cheese, about 5-inches round
2 tablespoons raspberry jam
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (we didn't do this, but in the future I will absolutely!)
1 box water crackers, recommended brand Carr's (we also used  Nabisco Triscuits and Nabisco Wheat Thins Flatbread in Tuscan Herb

Yields: 8 servings
Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Slice brie in half across the middle.
Spread the puff pastry sheet onto a counter and roll it to an 1/8 of an inch thick. Place half of the brie onto the puff pastry. Spread the jam on top. Sprinkle the almonds(we did not sprinkle this time) on the jam.
Replace the top half of the brie. Wrap dough up and over the brie, starting at the corners.
Turn over so the sealed side is underneath.
Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Serve with crackers.


For our next hors d'oeuvre on the menu, is one of Our MUSTS to have during the summer...
Thanks to my friend Lori, who attended a Williams Sonoma class years ago. She served it to us and it was a recipe I had to have! I know, the name kind of throws you, but once you've had this ambrosial yet mouthwatering Shrimp delicacy, you'll be hooked!
 First, you first dip your piece of Baguette in the  aromatic marinade, then add smithereen shrimp on top. Now, enjoy your scrumptious morsel of Williams Sonoma Shrimp,  for we like to call it now. It was  eminently requested by RachAnMe, a great accompaniment is with one of our favorite Chardonnays, La Crema. Let it take you away to your weekend escape. 



Williams Sonoma's Pickled Shrimp


Williams Sonoma's Shrimp 
3/4 cup Cider Vinegar
1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon English style dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds, crushed
1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
1 cup Olive Oil
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 Bay leaf
1-1/2 lbs (24 to 30) large shrimp, shelled and deveined (I've also used the smaller shrimp too)
1 medium onion, halved lengthwise and sliced thin (this time I used red onion)
1 lemon, sliced thin
2 Tablespoons minced fresh dill or Italian parsley, or to taste ( sometimes I don't add, like this time)
Dill or Italian parsley sprigs for garnish (optional, I did not  this time)
1 Baguette ( I like to use a Rosemary type)

In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, pepper, salt, sugar, mustard, red pepper flakes, mustard seeds and coriander seeds and add the oil in a stream, whisking. Whisk the marinade until it is emulsified and stire in the garlic and bay leaf.
In a large pan of salted boiling water cook the shrimp for 1 minute, or until they are just cooked through, drain them well and add them to the marinade while warm. Let the mixture cool, stir in the onion and the lemon and let the shrimp mixture marinade, covered and chilled, stirring occasionally, for at least 12 hours and up to 1 day. But I've done this in shorter length also, about 1 hour and it turns out well also. Stir in the minced dill or Italian parsley, transfe the pickled shrimp to a bowl and garnish with dill or Italian parsley sprigs.
 Makes 8 servings. Can be doubled easily.
 Option: My Dad enjoys the leftovers (when there is some), he loves to top it on some salad greens and he's a happy man.
It's  great to relax by poolside, let the kiddos run around and enjoying their guacamole and chips. Afterwards, we went in the POOL! So fun to have little ones around again...Miss them ! Yes, miss The Parentals too! Let me know how you like these poolside recipes. And remember to take time to kick back and relax, Life is to short to always work, work ,work. Let it take you away to your weekend escape.

       Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Sharon. It was easy to find you! This is a nice blog, Sharon. Your photos look great! Brie is my favorite cheese too. It's so good when it's warm and gooey. Thanks for the easy recipe. Have a nice Labor Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you, for taking the time to comment. It means alot to me and I appreciate your kind words so much.
Have a Blessed day & Enjoy! Sharon