Sunday, June 20, 2010

Today is Father's Day!

I'm so thankful to have such great men in my life and show me how God loves me here on earth.
So to honor my Dad and my husband today, I made Braised short ribs, that are marinated for at least 1 to 2 days in a whole bottle of red wine ! So worth it! see below for recipe.
With the Braised Short Ribs I roasted Asparagus, A Cilantro Caesar Dressing served with Pepitas for a different twist on the Caesar Salad, Mashed Potatoes, Rosemary Rustic Rolls (from my one of my favorite bakeries "La Brea Bakery"), and for dessert this awesome chocolate pie recipe that I found in my mound of recipes and blessed that a friend Holly made for my husband's office. It came from our local newspaper, which I immediately got out the Wednesday newspaper out and clipped it for a later use ! It's A very simple recipe 1950's Fudge Pie but so decadent and definitely at first bite sends you to chocolate heaven !
I like to change recipes sometimes..the only change I made in this was instead of baking it in a 9 inch pie pan, I made it into 4 tart pans, baked for 12-15 minutes in my convection oven. (And always a must! don't substitute the BUTTER ! Yes, I'm like Julia Child , love the butter !). I put a dollop of whip cream with a strawberry on top ! I think making it this way made it so much more special for my special men today !
 Needless to say, my Dad and husband were delighted by the presentation and the results in the awesome brownie like dessert ! They are my biggest fans and have encouraged me throughout my life ! Thanks Dad and Richard ! The loves of my life ! Yes...to my "Favorite" daughters ( who fight over who's the "favorite daughter"! too funny ! we must of done something right for them to think they each are the favorite !) I miss you both dearly ! you are reading this!?) You two are the girls in my life that I love so much and treasure your love and friendship!

I love to share recipes with my family and friends !
So when I can... I will post here what I make in the future and hopefully when I am rescuing recipes from my cherished cookbooks !

So here's my first recipe I am posting for you !
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did ! :)
Oh..and I think this is such a "God thing" that I'm starting this post with this first recipe by the name, since I'm RESCUING RECIPES from my cookbooks ! So check it out !
 Enjoy ! :)

Braised Short Rib

recipe by Tom Colicchio who is a master with meat, and his tender succulent braised short ribs are much in demand at his three restaurants. He marinates the short ribs along with vegetables in wine, then discards those vegetables and braises the ribs with fresh vegetables.
Easy Way Use the same vegetables in the marinade and the braise.
MAKE-AHEAD !!
ACTIVE :1 hour TOTAL TIME : 3 HRS PLUS OVERNIGHT MARINATING SERVINGS :6

INGREDIENTS:
2 Tablespoons canola oil
6 flanken-style short ribs with bones, cut 2 inches thick (about 4 pounds)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, sliced
3 celery ribs, sliced
3 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
One 750-milliliter bottle dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvigon
4 thyme sprigs
3 cups chicken stock
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large skillet, heat the oil. Season the ribs with salt and pepper. Add them to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until browned and crusty. about 18 minutes. Transfer the ribs to a shallow baking dish in a single layer.
2. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic to the skillet and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until very soft and lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Add the wine and thyme sprigs and bring to a boil over high heat. Pour the hot marinade over the ribs and let cool. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning the ribs once.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Transfer the ribs and marinade to a large, enameled cast-iron casserole. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover and cook in the lower third of the oven for 1 1/2 hours, until the meat is tender but not falling apart. Uncover and braise for 45 minutes longer, turning the ribs once or twice, until the sauce is very tender.
4. Transfer the meat to a clean shallow baking dish, discarding the the bones as the fall off. Strain the sauce into a heatproof measuring cup and skim off as much fat as possible. Pour the sauce over the meat; there should be about 2 cups.
5. Preheat the broiler. Broil the meat turning once or twice, until glazed and sizzling, about 10 minutes. Transfer the meat to plates, spoon the sauce on top and serve.
MAKE AHEAD

The braised short ribs can be prepare through step 4 and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
SERVE WITH : Mashed potatoes, buttered noodles or crusty bread


Posted From McClatchy-Tribune news service
by Aleta Watson

Easy Fudge Pie will make 'em sigh

We all need at least one dead-simple dessert recipe in our repertoire, one that turns out perfect every time and sends guests into raptures at first bite. If chocolate is involved, all the better.
Fudge pie is a golden oldie from the 1950's that I ran across in TV newswoman Linda Ellerbee's engaging memoir, "Take Big Bites". Ellerbee calls this recipe "rescued" fudge pie, because she thought it had been lost until a friend revealed that she had a copy of the original.
Essentially a dark, moist brownie, this crustless pie was a staple of Ellerbee's Houston childhood. Unlike many recipes fro that era, it doesn't call for processed ingredients. Chocolate, butter, sugar,eggs--what's not to like?
The first pie I made and brought into the office disappeared in no time. It was good, but I felt it could be better.
I had followed the recipe to the letter, including mixing all the ingredients in the Pyrex pie pan in which it was cooked, and the top crust bubbled strangely in spots, perhaps because the butter hadn't been mixed in well enough. In addition, the edges were almost black and a bit too crusty after 25 minutes in a 400-degree oven.
I have revised the instructions to call for mixing the ingredients in a separate bowl and reduced the baking temperature.
Chocolate connoisseurs should feel free to substitute 2 ounces for high-cocoa-content bittersweet or the unsweetened chocolate in the recipe.

Mama's Rescued Fudge Pie

My Dad holding his Father's Day Dessert
INGREDIENTS:
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, ( I used Nestle', that's what I had on hand)
1 Stick of Butter
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Flour
2 Eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place chocolate and butter in a 4-cup Pyrex measure or microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high heat for 30 seconds more.Let sit for a minute or so and stir until chocolate dissolves completely. Add sugar, flour, eggs , vanilla and salt. Pour into lightly oiled 9-inch pie pan.
Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool for as long as you can wait. If you can't wait, vanilla ice cream helps cool a slice of pie on your plate.
(Adapted from "Take Big Bites" by Linda Ellerbee, Berkeley.)







0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, for taking the time to comment. It means alot to me and I appreciate your kind words so much.
Have a Blessed day & Enjoy! Sharon