Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Coco for Coconuts



Have you've heard about Coconut Oil lately ?
I sure have. And not only for cooking and baking either, it's for Skincare too.I recently bought some, and placed it next to my stove-top so I can remember to use it when cooking. Well ... I tried it in several dishes when saute'. Very impressed.



Then I used it in one of our favorite waffle mixes..Yes, I do use dry mixes (sometimes I make my own quick mixes ahead for these moments) but this time is not one of them. When I'm time sensitive/lazy/ relaxing moments, I'm so thankful for these times, for then we can spend more time with our friends and family. Yum, We were very impressed.


So you know , I'm a Empty Nester, besides missing my girls,I also miss cooking for them. Seems like girls crave carbs more than guys and we are trying to eat healthier these days ...another sign of getting older I guess. My husband doesn't crave pancakes, so the other day, I woke up and thought, it's just me this morning, I'll make Pancakes. :)


Well have you noticed when you get out your favorite Pancake recipes,it makes a ton? and for How many? Yikes, it goes bad too quickly around here. Another result of being an Empty Nester.


So I went to our friend Google .Found a pancake recipe for one!Yes :) I tried this recipe, using my latest oil "Coconut Oil" by Spectrum (Note: it looks like shortening in a jar) and I must say
myself it was very tasty. But I didn't have some of the items and didn't want to run to the store in my pajamas ... lazy morning for me.



Here's my variations this time. I didn't have toasted wheat germ, so I just used whole wheat white flour. Didn't have buttermilk on hand,so I used whole milk. Yes, I vary these days in buying milk, for it's only me that drinks milk in our house now. Another result of being an Empty Nester :/


So looking at my recipes for the week and whole milk was in the greater percentage this week.
This recipe made a big portion of pancakes for my eyes.I made silver dollar size, no super sized for me today.
See my pic, and I still had probably another 5 silver dollar pancakes left in the bowl. I like a lighter fluffier pancake than this gave me, maybe it's my "variations" I did. But it sure satisfied my pancake fix for that day.


I'll probably adapt the recipe next time to my tastings and give you the update in the near future I'm sure.







My Pancakes for one, Silver Dollar style!


Pancakes for One Recipe

Ann Schenk of Winnett, Montana, has used the recipe for Pancakes for One for years. Originally it served six. "As our kids grew up and left home, I scaled down the recipe," Ann says. "Now if my husband, Mike, or I have a taste for these pancakes, it's easy to make just a few."


1 Servings Prep/Total Time: 15 min.


1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons toasted wheat germ
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Butter and maple syrup



In a bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder and
salt. In another bowl, beat egg; add buttermilk an oil. Stir into
dry ingredients just until blended.

Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle; turn
when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until the second side is
golden brown. Serve with butter and syrup. Yield: 1 serving (3
pancakes).



Nutrition Facts:
1 serving (3 each) equals 427 calories, 14 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 217 mg cholesterol, 1,198 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 18 g protein






|More

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, for taking the time to comment. It means alot to me and I appreciate your kind words so much.
Have a Blessed day & Enjoy! Sharon