Saturday, April 2, 2011

Part 6 Catching up: St. Patty's Day

St. Patty's Day!

I love to celebrate the seasons and holidays. I love the traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage meal but my husband doesn't. So I try to tweak the Traditional for him to experience the holiday.This year,was truly a nice tweak,I must say so myself.This year,I used a Harris Ranch corned beef, I think I'll be using this always. You can really tell the difference between the ole' bargain type I used for so many years. I found this recipe in my Favorite Sunset magazine, as I re-cooped from the "Cold Crud" for 6 weeks. I managed to have enough energy to make this.Here's hoping you are staying healthy this year and not joining

Oven-Braised Corned Beef Brisket




Create a tender and delicious St. Patrick's Day feast with this 5-star oven-braised Corned Beef Brisket recipe.

Notes: The weight of the meat shrinks by about half as the brisket cooks.

Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients
1 piece (about 4 lb.) center-cut corned beef brisket
1 lemon, ends trimmed
1 onion (about 1/2 lb.), peeled
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
6 to 8 whole cloves
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup brown sugar
Preparation
1. Trim and discard most of the surface fat from brisket. Rinse meat well under cool running water, rubbing gently to release its corning salt.

2. Lay meat, fattiest side up, in a 2-inch-deep, 11- by 15- or 16-inch roasting pan. Thinly slice lemon (discard seeds) and onion and lay slices over meat. Sprinkle with peppercorns, allspice, and cloves.

3. Set pan on middle rack in a 325° oven. Pour about 8 cups boiling water around brisket, seal the pan with foil, and bake until meat is very tender when pierced, about 4 hours. Uncover and drain off all but about 1 cup of the liquid. If desired, reserve the lemon and onion slices and rearrange them on top of the meat.

4. In a small bowl, mix the mustard and brown sugar; spread evenly over meat, on top of the onion-lemon mixture. Broil about 8 inches from heat until the mustard mixture begins to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the brisket to a platter. Serve hot, warm, or cold; slice meat across the grain.
Braised Corned Beef Brisket on FoodistaBraised Corned Beef Brisket
Nutritional Information
Calories:330 (60% from fat)
Protein:21g
Fat:22g (sat 7.2)
Carbohydrate:9.8g
Fiber:0.5g
Sodium:1471mg
Cholesterol:111mg

Sunset, MARCH 1999
| More

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, for taking the time to comment. It means alot to me and I appreciate your kind words so much.
Have a Blessed day & Enjoy! Sharon