Monday, September 12, 2011

National Chocolate Milkshake Day

Ghirardelli Chocolate Heaven!

September 12, 2011 is
National Chocolate Milkshake Day

Smooth, frothy, rich, and sweet are just a few of the words that describe today's reason to celebrate—the chocolate milkshake! Did you know that the first reference to a milkshake appeared in a British newspaper in 1885? The original recipe called for a shot of whiskey! Yuck! Sorry this gal doesn't care for Whiskey

Milkshakes were popular at soda fountain counters in the early 1900s and are now a mainstay at ice cream shops, diners, and fast food restaurants throughout the country.
Our San Diegan Ghirardelli Shoppe is one of our favorite stops for our Chocolate Fix! 

My Dad has always been our Master Milkshake maker in our house. I don't know when or why he started it, but as long as I know, He would always make me a Milkshake whenever I didn't feel well. And it sure cured whatever ailed me at the time! So of course, when my Girls were not feeling well, or after doctor or dentist appointment. I'd always offer to make them or if time was an essence, I'd stop at our favorite place to pick one up. By the way, In-Out has one of the best Milkshakes around! Oh yea, best Burgers too!

 For today's celebration, I'm trying this new recipe out at Ghiradelli, one of my favorite Chocolates. And being a Native Californian, of course, have to go with Ghirardelli! So if you have time, join with me in trying this recipe out. If not, I understand, but make sure you pick up a Milkshake wherever you choose to get yours, I hope you enjoy National Chocolate Milkshake Day!

Here's an update on my making of this recipe... It was tasty! But we must be Ice Cream connoisseurs, for it was a lot of ICE to our tasting. Next time I'll cut in half but I might not use ICE at all! And when I made the Ganache Mixture...it didn't thicken up like it said it would...and I took awhile to wait for it to thicken. At least  I thought was being patient...But I did let it cool for over 2 hours in refrigerator thou! See I was patient!  But you gotta  LOVE The Ice Cream!  I have to limit myself, otherwise I'd be 200 pounds! Note to myself, moderation is the key. Love to hear how yours turned out, and hope you treated yourself a Milkshake on National Milkshake Day!

 Yields: 2 servings

    2 tablespoon(s) raspberry syrup (I used Chocolate instead)
    2 scoops vanilla ice cream
    1/2 cup(s) whole milk
    2 cup(s) ice
    1/4 cup(s) Ghirardelli Ganache Mixture (see recipe below)
    2 Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate with Raspberry Filling Squares, for garnish
    Directions
    This recipe was developed for Ghirardelli by Elizabeth Falkner.
    Combine the raspberry syrup, ice cream, milk, and ice in a blender and puree until smooth, about 1 minute.In the bottom of each glass, spoon in 2 tablespoons  ganache mixture. Pour the raspberry                                                           
    milkshake on top. Garnish each glass with a dark chocolate square.


  Note: When I made this...this didn't thicken up like it said it would... I took awhile to wait, what I thought was being patient... I did let it cool for over 2 hours in refrigerator thou!

                                                             Ghirardelli Ganache Mixture

    2 ounce(s) 70% Cacao Extra Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar
    1/2 cup(s) whole milk
    2 tablespoon(s) water
    1 tablespoon(s) plus 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar 
      Directions

    Combine the milk, water, and sugar in a saucpan over meduim heat and bring just to a boil, stirring. Immediately remove from the heat and with an immersion blender, carefully puree until thickened.
    Chop the chocolate into 1-inch pieces and place in a bowl. Pour the milk mixture over the chocolate and let it rest for 2 minutes. Whisk or stir until the mixture is smooth and the chocolate has dissolved. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.



                                      




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, for taking the time to comment. It means alot to me and I appreciate your kind words so much.
Have a Blessed day & Enjoy! Sharon